10 Tips to Avoid Weight Gain During the Holidays
While I enjoy talking about Structural Corrective Chiropractic, there are things outside of what I do that are also very important to your health. While I may not deal with them directly, you’ll want to keep them in mind, such as avoiding the extra weight.
The holidays are the time when everyone “decides” they aren’t going to put on a few extra pounds, but unfortunately it happens to many people despite their efforts. Below are some simple tips to help avoid that holiday weight gain
1. Avoid the “creamy” dips and instead try something like hummus for your vegetable dips
2. Use sparkling water with some lemon instead of sugary soda. Soda is simply empty calories with no nutritional value
3. If you’re going to have a cookie or dessert, avoid the ones with frosting. Aside from the extra calories, the artificial colors can have a negative impact on your body
4. Do not over indulge on the eggnog. Even a small amount can be high in calories
5. Avoid any foods with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), as it reduces the amount of leptin (the hormone which tells your body you are full).
6. Avoid eating too much protein at any single sitting, especially turkey breast. Go for the leg or thigh, as the extra fat slows digestion and insulin release. A large amount of protein may result in an insulin rush causing you to crave more sweets
7. Lose the extra calories by avoiding the starchy vegetables, especially any type of creamy, cheesy potato dish. These taste great, so at least limit yourself to a single small portion to cut back on the calories
8. Be sure to keep up with your exercise program. Many people fall of the tracks at this point and say “it’s going to be my New Year’s resolution to get back in the gym, but I’ll be lazy for a couple more weeks”. Remember if you gain 5 extra pounds now, that’s 5 you have to lose come January.
9.Make sure you get plenty of sleep. Sleep helps produce growth hormone, which burns those extra calories.
10. Eat plenty of fiber to help maintain your digestion for optimal weight loss.